METROPOLITAN OPERA NATIONAL COUNCIL AUDITIONS 2018-2019 GOVERNING REGULATIONS
Your participation in the Metropolitan Opera National Council (MONC) Auditions is subject to the following governing regulations:
1) Applicants must be within the following ages:
20 – 30 years old for all voice types from August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019
*PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR THE 2018-2019 SEASON, YOUR BIRTH DATE MUST FALL ON OR BETWEEN AUGUST 1, 1988 – AUGUST 1, 1998 IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE ELIGIBLE TO AUDITION
2) Past auditioners may re-enter District auditions as new applicants. Auditioners who have exceeded the age limit, reached the Grand Finals Concert, or twice reached the National Semi-Finals are no longer eligible to compete.
3) Current or former singers on the Metropolitan Opera Roster, and current season members of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus, Extra Chorus or current full-time employees of the Metropolitan Opera staff are ineligible to audition.
4) Auditions are open to citizens and lawful residents of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Citizens of countries other than the U.S., Canada, and Mexico must show either proof of residency for the duration of the audition season, or proof of full-time enrollment in an educational institution, in one of these three countries before being permitted to enter a District audition. We are required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens.
5) Applicants may enter any one District per season. All District winners must participate in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners. Applicants are solely responsible for securing visas to compete in all rounds of competition.
6) An official pianist will be provided at no charge to the applicant. The applicant may provide his/her own pianist, if desired, at his/her own expense.
7) MONC Auditions prizes are paid by check. Prize winners will be required to complete any tax paperwork necessary, in the Met’s sole discretion, in order to claim their prizes. The Met will make tax withholdings as required by law. In most cases, prizes will not be available to contestants on the day of the competition.
8) The MONC Grand Finals Concert may be broadcast over Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network or Sirius Satellite Radio. Contestants do not receive any compensation for their participation in such a competition or concert. AGMA has agreed to waive their usual payment requirements.
9) The purpose of District winner awards is to defray costs of participating in the Region Finals. If you choose not to participate in your Region Finals, you may be asked to return your District audition prize money.
10) To be eligible to enter the auditions, you must be available EXCLUSIVELY to MONC for the following:
a.) your respective District and Region audition dates;
b.) arrival in New York, NY on Thursday, March 21, 2019 through the National Semi-Finals on Sunday, March 24, 2019;
c.) preparation for the National Grand Finals Concert from Monday, March 25, 2019 through Sunday, March 31, 2019.
Participation in non-MONC related professional engagements or competitions is not permitted during the times specified in a), b) and c) above, unless approved IN ADVANCE by the Executive Director of Auditions. Failure to receive advance approval for an unrelated engagement automatically DISQUALIFIES you from the National Semi-Finals and Finals.
11) By participating in the MONC Auditions, you consent to your name, image, and likeness being listed on the Met website and other Met materials, including for advertising, fundraising, and promotional purposes, without payment of additional compensation unless prohibited by law.
12) Any misrepresentation on the application will be cause for disqualification without benefit of appeal. All disqualifications are in the Met’s sole and absolute discretion.
REQUIRED IS A ONE-PAGE RÉSUMÉ, PHOTO, NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE OF $30.00 (USD ONLY) AND A COPY OF YOUR LEGAL PROOF OF AGE, SUCH AS BIRTH CERTIFICATE, PASSPORT OR DRIVER’S LICENSE. (PROOF OF RESIDENCY OR FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT IN AN EDUCATIONAL INSTUTUTION IS REQUIRED FROM CITIZENS OF COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE U.S., CANADA, AND MEXICO ONLY.)